[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] [libvirt] Block Devices and the "discard" option

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 03:44:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

So I've been beating on this for a good part of the day and I'm not having
much luck so I thought I'd ask on the ML if anybody has had any success
with the following.

We have some applications that have been migrated off of our physical
machines and into our OpenStack Cloud.  The trouble is that these apps and
our storage take advantage of fstrim which returns the error:

          "fstrim: /: FITRIM ioctl failed: Operation not supported"

I thought... oh, easy I'll work up a quick patch to add this to Cinder and
Nova; but I don't seem to be having any luck getting this to work.

I also cam across the Nova patch to add this to Local Disk here: [1]
and I seem to get the same error there as well.

Testing fstrim on the devices from the compute node works fine, just not
the device passed in to the instance.

The XML I'm sending looks like this [2]

I'm running on 14.04 with RC1 builds.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, or if anybody has been able to make this
work, or if it should work.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/112977/12
[2]: https://gist.github.com/j-griffith/3341ad287c5d684f02b5