[openstack-dev] [api] Forming the API Working Group

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 06:05:41 UTC 2014

Hi Everett,

Great to see things moving with the API Working Group!

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Everett Toews <everett.toews at rackspace.com>
wrote:

> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/API_Working_Group
>
> This is the start of the API Working Group (API WG).
>
> To avoid bike shedding over the name of the working group, I decided to
> title the wiki page API Working Group. Simple, to the point, and avoids
> loaded terms like standards, best practices, guidelines, conventions, etc.
>
> The point isn’t what we name it. The point is what action we take about
> it. I propose the deliverables in the API WG wiki page.

I agree with what you've written on the wiki page. I think our priority
needs to be to flesh out
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Proposed/APIGuidelines
so we have something to reference when reviewing specs. At the moment I see
that document as something anyone should be able to document a project's
API convention even if they conflict with another project for the moment.
Once we've got a fair amount of content we can start as a group resolving
any conflicts.

> Speaking of the wiki page, I wrote it very matter-of-factly. As if this is
> the way things are. They’re not. The wiki page is just a starting point. If
> something was missed, add it. If something can be improved, improve it.
> Let’s try to keep it simple though.

One problem with API WG members reviewing spec proposals that affect the
API is finding the specs in the first place across many different projects
repositories.

> I invite everyone who chimed in on the original thread [1] that kicked
> this off to add themselves as a member committed to making the OpenStack
> APIs better. I’ve Cc’d everyone who asked to be kept in the loop.
>
> I already see some cross project summit topics [2] on APIs. But frankly,
> with the number of people committed to this topic, I’d expect there to be
> more. I encourage everyone to submit more API related sessions with better
> descriptions and goals about what you want to achieve in those sessions.

Yea if there is enough content in the API guidelines then perhaps some time
can be spent on working on resolving any conflicts in the document so
projects know what direction to head in.

Regards,

 Chris