[openstack-dev] [nova] gerrit based statistics

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 12:55:03 UTC 2014

On 10/08/2014 07:30 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> Recently there has been a lot of discussion around the development
> growing pains in nova. Instead of guessing about how bad some of the
> issues are, I tried to answer a few questions that may help us better
> understand the issues.
>

> Q: How many revisions does it take to merge a patch?
>
> Average: 6.76 revisions
> median: 4.0 revisions
>

> Q: How many rechecks/verifies does it take to merge a patch (ignoring
> rechecks where the same job failed before and after)?
>
> Average: 0.749 rechecks per patch revision
> median: 0.4285  rechecks per patch revision
>
> For comparison here are the same results for tempest, which has a lot
> more gating tests:
>
> Average: 1.01591525738
> median: 0.6
>

> Q: How long does it take for a patch to get approved?
>
> Average: 28 days
> median: 11 days
>

> Q: How long does it take for a patch to get approved that touches
> 'nova/virt/'?
>
> Average: 34 days
> median: 18 days
>

> When looking at these numbers two things stick out out:
>
> * We successfully use recheck an awful lot. More then I expected
> * Patches that touch 'nova/virt' take about 20% more time to land or
> about 6 days. While that is definitely a difference, its smaller then I
> expected
>

> Dataset: last 800 patches in nova
> Code: https://github.com/jogo/gerrit-fun

Some related stats on open code reviews:

http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/nova-openreviews.html

I don't have historical data, which would be really useful.  However,
based on my memory and an old ML post [1], these numbers have tripled
for Nova since mid 2013.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-June/011043.html

--
Russell Bryant