[openstack-dev] TC candidacy

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Wed Oct 8 21:29:39 UTC 2014

It seems I left out a response. Sorry for the follow-on but here's what was
missing.

*Topic: Technical Committee Mission*
*How do you feel the technical committee is doing in meeting the technical
committee mission?*

*"The Technical Committee ("TC") is tasked with providing the technical
leadership for OpenStack as a whole (all official programs, as defined
below). It enforces OpenStack ideals (Openness, Transparency, Commonality,
Integration, Quality...), decides on issues affecting multiple programs,
forms an ultimate appeals board for technical decisions, and generally has
oversight over all the OpenStack project."*

I believe the TC has thus far done a pretty fair job given the team and its
charter are both rather new. While the TC has been providing leadership for
individual components, I would not characterize the TC today as providing
highly visible leadership (necessary for openness and transparency) which I
would like to see improved. Much of the TC's work today coalesces around
providing a safe harbor for meaningful program integration and ensure
challenges are resolved optimally but the TC needs to get better at
identifying the good/poorly-defined boundaries of this kind of technical
governance model. In other words, the TC needs to get better at being a
good TC. The instantiation of a TC is a perfect first step but the pink
elephant in the room seems to be around cross-project and architectural
guidance; ensuring Openstack as a whole is moving in a direction that
doesn't require accommodating things we shouldn't be doing in the first
place. The lack of API standardization is a great example of moving in a
direction without a big picture context.
 Communications that have gone back and forth and debated about the big
tent model, layers/cascading, scaling documentation, etc have been visible
and the candor of opposing viewpoints have been awesome to follow. But we
could really benefit from some structural adjustments so more decisions
placed before the team are equally visible, a visible and transparent
decision-making process enabling those who use Openstack understand the
architectural perspectives shepherding it. Not just the decision that have
100+ replies on the mailing list
 "Oversight over all the projects" is an area that I'm anticipating where
we have some easy low-hanging fruit. Where we are today with regard to
focus is understandable given the number of fires affecting individual
programs that cannot be ignored. But we have a big opportunity (there's
that word again) to get some traction on the larger architectural decisions
that may require more work up front but produce some big wins over the long
term. Customers who want to use Openstack have often played the "constant
change = unstable" card for good reason; Openstack has a long way to go
before it gets to Production-quality for the masses (i.e. without heavy
re-development requirements). I believe the TC can and should influence
that with better solution-level leadership.
 - The deployment challenge is beyond ready for attention.
- A working default 'out-of-the-box' config that can boot an instance
accessible over the network is STILL a challenge. Long past due in my mind.
- Programs like Oslo that address library requirements moves a cloud closer
to Production-capable but really shouldn't be optional. Doing something
well shouldn't be optional. In fact, a Production context shouldn't be one
option of many despite the prevalence of Openstack PoC and pilots; it
should be a consistent design assumption. Gating a feature to the point
that it's 'good enough' is part of the problem. It must be
Production-worthy otherwise it is NOT good enough. That's ready for
attention.
 We might not be able to address all of these and some ideas could use a
lot more cross-talk, but if elected I would like to champion improving how
the TC approaches problems and vets their potential solutions.

*Adam Lawson*

AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street
Ste. 58461