[openstack-dev] Suggestions for students final year project

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 18:24:04 UTC 2014

On 7 October 2014 19:01, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
> On 10/07/2014 01:38 PM, Adam Young wrote:

>>> Can I just say that I think using new people looking to have work
>>> experience with OpenStack to further pet projects, without telling them
>>> it is a pet project and not considered a project which others may
>>> consider OpenStack to be not the best approach for encouraging new
>>> people.

I think writing a client / gui for openstack is one of the best single
projects you can do to get a good overview of the whole stack.

>>> Not knocking your project, Adam, since I know nothing about it, and this
>>> isn't the first time I have seen this happen. But I do believe that
>>> folks asking to help out with something are looking to gain transferable
>>> skills so that they have something to offer a potential employeer who is
>>> looking for work experience with OpenStack. That would be what I would
>>> be looking for anyway.

>> No offense taken.  I think you are looking out for the interest of the
>> poster and people wityh similar interests.

<snip>

>>  It would not be appropriate for
>> someone in Patricia's position to try and come in and get a bug fix
>> through.

> Now on this point, I'm going to disagree, simply because I don't have
> enough information on what Patricia's position actually is. I can guess
> but until I hear from Patricia herself, I'm just guessing and I would
> much rather know. It was my desire to know more about Patricia's
> position that motivated my suggestion she join irc and perhaps ask a few
> questions, allowing others to ask questions of her.
>
> When interacting with other folks who enter under similar circumstances,
> my first question invariably is "What is your goal?". I truly hope
> Patricia has something better than "to get a good mark" because folks
> with that goal rarely interest me, but who knows. I haven't had the
> chance to ask.

If you're doing a final year project and your highest goal isn't 'to
get a good mark', then you're doing yourself a serious disservice. You
can have all sorts of secondary goals, but by the point in your
academic career where you're doing your final year project, your main
goal is to prove you're learnt and can apply all of the skills that
your course has covered. This actually involves a very different
process to getting something done in the 'real world'.

>>  That limits the number of projects available.
> Now here is where I would like to interact with program administrators
> at institutions such as Patricia's to ask them why a project? We have
> over 300 including stackforge, why task a student with starting their
> own, why not encourage them to learn our development process which then
> can enable them to work on any of the 300 in various stages of development.

Extremely difficult to get a decent academic project and therefore a
good mark out of an existing project that has had any substantial
amount of work done on it. Not impossible, but flicking through a pile
of old final year projects that got good marks shows that stand-alone
start-to-finish projects tend to get better marks. (I've looked into
this quite a bit)

--
Duncan Thomas