[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Cinder/Neutron plugins on UI

Evgeniy L eli at mirantis.com
Tue Oct 7 14:17:45 UTC 2014

Hi,

We had a meeting today about plugins on UI, as result of the meeting
we have two approaches and this approaches affect not only UX but
plugins itself.

*1st - disable/enable plugin on settings tab*

   1. user installs the plugin
   2. creates a cluster
   3. configures and enables/disables plugins on settings tab

For user it will look like Ceph plugin checkboxes on settings tab,
if he enables checkbox, then we pass the parameter to orchestrator
as `true`.

Cons:

   - plugin developer should define a checkbox in each plugin (for plugin
   disabling/enabling)
   - on the backend we have to enable all of the plugins for environment,
   because user can define any name for his checkbox and we won't be able to
   find it and make appropriate mapping plugin <-> env
   - since all of the plugins are always "enabled" we have to run tasks for
   all of the plugins, and each plugin should parse astute.yaml in order to
   figure out if it's required to run task current script

Pros:

   - it won't require additional setting or step for wizard
   - user will be able to disable plugin after environment creation

*2nd - enable plugins in wizard*

   1. user installs the plugin
   2. now he can choose specific plugins for his environment in wizard
   3. after cluster is created, he can configure additional parameters on
   settings tab, if plugin provides any

Cons:

   - user won't be able to disable plugin after cluster is created
   - additional step or configuration subcategory in wizard

Pros:

On backend we always know which plugin is disabled and which is enabled.

   - it means we don't provide settings for plugins which are disabled
   - we don't run tasks on slaves if it's not required