[openstack-dev] [all] Broken coverage jobs

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Oct 6 17:36:46 UTC 2014

When you propose a job to OpenStack, you're all familiar with the usual
check and gate job. There're also so-called post jobs. These are jobs
that are run after a job has been merged. One group of these post jobs
are publishing documents to docs.openstack.org, others run coverage
tests to record the coverage of the testsuite for a project.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way for failures in post jobs to inform
the project about failures (see also [1]).

I've been looking at failures of post jobs and noticed that many of the
coverage jobs are completely broken.
With broken I mean: The infra scripts call "tox -e cover" and I found
these problems:
* no tox environment called "cover"
* "coverage" package not in requirements
* Scripts called by "cover" are not available

I've changed now the default "python-jobs" template for all jobs to not
include the coverage job anymore and added to those projects using
"python-jobs" the coverage job manually if they have a working setup
[2]. I now double checked all projects that had a coverage job (some
have them even without using python-jobs) and proposed a patch to remove
the coverage job [3].

So, if you want to have coverage on a project, do the following:
* check that "tox -e cover" works locally and if not fix the failures
* sent a patch to project-config adding the coverage job to your project.

To check what post jobs run, install "git os-job" [4][5] and run it like:
$ cd python-cinderclient
$ git os-job

which opened for me a webbrowser window with the following URL:

http://logs.openstack.org/89/892b739f4a50f34bc669b1be30503e823310f7f1/

and clicking through it, you find the coverage html page at:
http://logs.openstack.org/89/892b739f4a50f34bc669b1be30503e823310f7f1/post/python-cinderclient-coverage/3f2a9e9/cover/

Btw. some coverage jobs are running fine but still fail, for example
since no data is collected or due to other failures.

So, for those projects without coverage job: Once you fixed "tox -e
cover", feel free to send a patch for project-config to enable it. I'll
happily review ;)

Andreas

P.S. Since I just cleaned this up: If you need help to enable the job,
feel free to email me and I'll take care of it.