[openstack-dev] [Openstack-docs] Contributing to docs without Docbook -- YES you can!

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Oct 6 03:26:50 UTC 2014

On 04/10/14 04:03, Nick Chase wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org
> <mailto:stefano at openstack.org>> wrote:
>     >  1. Pick an existing topic or create a new topic. For new topics,
>     we're
>     >     primarily interested in deployment scenarios.
>     >  2. Develop content (text and/or diagrams) in a format that
>     supports at
>     >     least basic markup (e.g., titles, paragraphs, lists, etc.).
>     >  3. Provide a link to the content (e.g., gist on github.com
>     <http://github.com>, wiki page,
>     >     blog post, etc.) under the associated topic.
>
>     Points 1-3 seem to be oriented at removing Launchpad from the equation.
>     Is that all there is? I guess it makes sense to remove obstacles,
>     although editing the wiki (since it requires a launchpad account anyway)
>     may not be the best way to track progress and see assignments.
>

> No, really, the main change is in step 5.  Launchpad isn't the problem,
> as far as we can tell; Docbook is.

Hi Nick,

As best I can tell - 'step 5' has been in place for at least the last
few summits at least, so this is not a change :) We have had a policy
where anyone can dump text in bug reports and we'll wrangle it. This has
been popular, see eg Marco Cossoni's contributions, but in my opinion
not widely enough communicated - so thanks for your efforts.

>     >  4. Send e-mail to reviewers networking at openstacknow.com
>     <mailto:networking at openstacknow.com>.
>
>     Why not use the docs mailing list or other facilities on
>     @openstack.org <http://openstack.org>?
>     Who is responding to that address?
>

> If someone want to provide us a list on @openstack.org
> <http://openstack.org>, that'd be awesome.  I set up this address
> because I control the forwarding and could do it immediately without
> having to ask for anyone's approval. :)
>
> People on the alias are myself, Edgar Magana, Matt Kasawara, Phil
> Hopkins, Anne Gentle, and Elke Vorheis.

I find it quite odd that the larger team is being excluded from this
effort. Why would it need a separate mailing list?

Regards,

Tom