[openstack-dev] What's a dependency (was Re: [all][tc] governance changes for "big tent"...) model

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 18:25:07 UTC 2014

So a bit of background here. This began from thinking about functional
dependencies, and pondering whether a map of the dependency graph of
our projects could inform our gating structure, specifically to
encourage (or dare I say, actually force) all of us (the project
teams) to become more cognizant of the API contracts we are making
with each other, and the pain it causes when we break those contracts.

Let's not extend this exercise to a gigantic
everything-needs-everything-to-do-everything picture, which is where
it's heading now. Sure, telemetry is important for operators, and in
no way am I saying anything else when I say: for Nova to fulfill its
primary goal, telemetry is not necessary. It is optional. Desired, but
optional.

Even saying "nova CAN-USE ceilometer" is incorrect, though, since Nova
isn't actually using Ceilometer to accomplish any functional task
within it's domain. More correct would be to say "Ceilometer
CAN-ACCEPT notifications FROM Nova". Incidentally, this is very
similar to the description of Heat and Horizon, except that, instead
of consuming a public API, Ceilometer is consuming something else
(internal notifications).

-Deva