[openstack-dev] What's a dependency (was Re: [all][tc] governance changes for "big tent"...) model

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 17:17:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Chris Dent <chdent at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2014, Joe Gordon wrote:
>
>  * services that nothing depends on
>> * services that don't depend on other services
>>
>> Latest graph: http://i.imgur.com/y8zmNIM.png
>>

> I'm hesitant to open this can but it's just lying there waiting,
> wiggling like good bait, so:
>
> How are you defining dependency in that picture?

data is coming from here:
https://github.com/jogo/graphing-openstack/blob/master/openstack.yaml
and the key is here: https://github.com/jogo/graphing-openstack

Note ceilometer has no relationships because I wasn't sure what exactly
they were (which were required and which are optional etc.), not because
there are none. It turns out its not easy to find this information in an
easily digestible format.

> For example:
>
> Many of those services expect[1] to be able to send notifications (or
> be polled by) ceilometer[2]. We've got an ongoing thread about the need
> to contractualize notifications. Are those contracts (or the desire
> for them) a form of dependency? Should they be?

So in the case of notifications, I think that is a Ceilometer CAN-USE Nova
THROUGH notifications