[openstack-dev] [neutron] openvswitch integration

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 09:03:28 UTC 2014

>- why does every physical interface have its own bridge? (I guess you could
also plug it directly into the br-int)

This is where iptables rules are applied. Until they are implemented in OVS
directly, this bridge is necessary.

>- and why does the br-int use vlan separation and not directly the configured
tenant-network-type separation..

The process plugging into the vswitch (Nova) has no idea what the network
segmentation method will be, which is set by Neutron via the Neutron agent.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Andreas Scheuring <
scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi together,
> I'm wondering why ovs was integrated into openstack in the way it is
> today
> (
> http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-network/admin/content/under_the_hood_openvswitch.html
> )
>
> Especially I would like to understand
> - why does every physical interface have its own bridge? (I guess you
> could also plug it directly into the br-int)
> - and why does the br-int use vlan separation and not directly the
> configured tenant-network-type separation (e.g. vxlan or something
> else)? Tagging a packet with the internal vlan and then converting it to
> the external vlan again looks strange to me in the first place.
>
> It's just a feeling but this surely has impact on the performance. I
> guess latency and cpu consumption will surely go up with this design.
> Are there any technical or historical reasons for it? Or is it just to
> reduce complexity?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Andreas