[openstack-dev] [TripleO] a need to assert user ownership in preserved state

James Polley jp at jamezpolley.com
Thu Oct 2 05:37:25 UTC 2014

All three of the options presented here seem to assume that UIDs will always be allocated at image-build time. I think that's because most of these UIDs will be used to write files into the chroot at image-create time - if I could think of some way around that, I think we could avoid this problem more neatly by not assigning the UIDs until first boot

But since we can't do that, would it be possible to compromise by having the UIDs read in from heat metadata, and using the current allocation process if none is provided?

This should allow people who prefer to have static UIDs to have simple drop-in config, but also allow people who want to dynamically read from existing images to scrape the details and then drop them in.

To aid people who have existing images, perhaps we could provide a small tool (if one doesn't already exist) that simply reads /etc/passwd and returns a JSON username:uid map, to be added into the heat local environment when building the next image?