[openstack-dev] [cinder][nova] proper syncing of cinder volume state
scott.dangelo at hp.com
Fri Nov 28 18:25:42 UTC 2014
A Cinder blueprint has been submitted to allow the python-cinderclient to involve the back end storage driver in resetting the state of a cinder volume:
and the spec:
This blueprint contains various use cases for a volume that may be listed in the Cinder DataBase in state detaching|attaching|creating|deleting.
The Proposed solution involves augmenting the python-cinderclient command 'reset-state', but other options are listed, including those that
involve Nova, since the state of a volume in the Nova XML found in /etc/libvirt/qemu/<instance_id>.xml may also be out-of-sync with the
Cinder DB or storage back end.
A related proposal for adding a new non-admin API for changing volume status from 'attaching' to 'error' has also been proposed:
Some questions have arisen:
1) Should 'reset-state' command be changed at all, since it was originally just to modify the Cinder DB?
2) Should 'reset-state' be fixed to prevent the naïve admin from changing the CinderDB to be out-of-sync with the back end storage?
3) Should 'reset-state' be kept the same, but augmented with new options?
4) Should a new command be implemented, with possibly a new admin API to properly sync state?
5) Should Nova be involved? If so, should this be done as a separate body of work?
This has proven to be a complex issue and there seems to be a good bit of interest. Please provide feedback, comments, and suggestions.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev