[openstack-dev] [diskimage-builder] Tracing levels for scripts (119023)

Sullivan, Jon Paul JonPaul.Sullivan at hp.com
Thu Nov 27 18:29:21 UTC 2014

I don't think this is true, as there are many more things in SHELLOPTS than just xtrace.  I think it is wrong to call the two approaches equivalent.

> in disk-image-create.  You do lose set -e in disk-image-create itself on
> debug runs because that's not something we can safely propagate,
> although we could work around that by unsetting it before calling hooks.
>  FWIW I've used this method locally and it worked fine.

So this does say that your alternative implementation has a difference from the proposed one.  And that the difference has a negative impact.

> The only drawback is it doesn't allow the granularity of an if block in
> every script, but I don't personally see that as a particularly useful
> feature anyway.  I would like to hear from someone who requested that
> functionality as to what their use case is and how they would define the
> different debug levels before we merge an intrusive patch that would
> need to be added to every single new script in dib or tripleo going
> forward.

So currently we have boilerplate to be added to all new elements, and that boilerplate is:

    set -eux
    set -o pipefail

This patch would change that boilerplate to:

    if [ ${DIB_DEBUG_TRACE:-0} -gt 0 ]; then
        set -x
    fi
    set -eu
    set -o pipefail

So it's adding 3 lines.  It doesn't seem onerous, especially as most people creating a new element will either copy an existing one or copy/paste the header anyway.

I think that giving control over what is effectively debug or non-debug output is a desirable feature.

We have a patch that implements that desirable feature.

I don't see a compelling technical reason to reject that patch.