[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 20:40:28 UTC 2014

On Wed Nov 26 2014 at 3:36:27 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> >> Isn't there is a simple URL that I may use with wget? I don't really
> >> want to use bower directly, I just would like to have a look to the
> >> content of the bower package.
> >
> > You can’t. Bower doesn’t have “traditional” packages where you take a
> > directory and archive it using tar/zip/whatever and then upload it to
> > some repo. Bower has a registry which maps names to git URLs and then
> > the bower CLI looks up that mapping, fetches the git repository and then
> > uses that as the input to the “look at metadata and do stuff with files”
> > part of the package manager instead of the output of an un-unarchival
> > command.
>
> Then this makes Bower a very bad candidate to "debianize" stuff. We'll
> have a moving target with a constantly changing git from upstream,
> meaning that we'll have all sorts of surprise in the gate.

It's no more constantly moving than any other project. Bower versions are
tied to git tags. In fact, since debian etc. usually go to the repository
rather than use release tarballs, bower *improves* things by requiring the
tags, making it easier for you to isolate the version in the repository
that you need, whereas otherwise people just have to remember to tag and
often don't :)

> Frankly, this Bower thing scares me, and I don't really understand why
> we're not continuing to use XStatic stuff, which was really convenient
> and has been proven to work during the Juno cycle.

We're doing this so we don't have the additional burden of creating and
maintaining the xstatic packages.

      Richard