[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Separate horizon and openstack_dashboard

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 18:20:37 UTC 2014

On 17/11/14 14:43, Yves-Gwenaël Bourhis wrote:
> Le 17/11/2014 14:19, Matthias Runge a écrit :
>
>> There is already horizon on pypi[1]
>>
>> IMHO this will lead only to more confusion.
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>> [1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/horizon/2012.2
>
> Well the current "horizon" on Pypi is "The OpenStack Dashboard" +
> horizon(_lib) included
>
> If the future "horizon" on pypi is "openstack_dashboard" alone, it would
> still pull "horizon_lib" as a dependency, so it would not brake the
> existing.

That would break expectations.

When installing a software package named python-foo, I would expect a
python package named foo in there, not a package named bar.

Dependencies between packages are best defined in distribution packages.
They solve dependencies since ages.

For Fedora, there is a policy for package naming. I'd assume the same to
be true for Debian.

Matthias