[openstack-dev] [tempest] How to run tempest tests

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Tue Nov 25 16:40:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:49:27AM +0100, Angelo Matarazzo wrote:
> Sorry for my previous message with wrong subject
>
> Hi all,
> By reading the tempest documentation page [1] a user can run tempest tests
> by using whether testr or run_tempest.sh or tox.
>
> What is the best practice?
> run_tempest.sh has several options (e.g. ./run_tempest.sh -h) and it is my
> preferred way, currently.
> Any thought?

So the options are there for different reasons and fit different purposes. The
run_tempest.sh script exists mostly for legacy reasons as some people prefer to
use it, and it predates the usage of tox in tempest. It also has some advantages
like that it can run without a venv and provides some other options.

Tox is what we use for gating, and we keep most of job definitions for gating in
the tox.ini file. If you're trying to reproduce a gate run locally using tox is
what is recommended to use. Personally I use it to run everything just because
I often mix unit tests and tempest runs and I like having separate venvs for
both being created on demand.

Calling testr directly is just what all of these tools are doing under the
covers, and it'll always be an option.

One thing we're looking to do this cycle is to add a single entry point for
running tempest which will hopefully clear up this confusion, and make the
interface for interacting with tempest a bit nicer. When this work is done, the
run_tempest.sh script will most likely disappear and tox will probably just be
used for gating job definitions and just call the new entry-point instead of
testr directly.

> BR,
> Angelo
>
> [1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/overview.html#quickstart