[openstack-dev] [sahara] Discussion on cm_api for global requirement

Matthew Farrellee matt at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 15:37:48 UTC 2014

On 11/24/2014 01:22 PM, Trevor McKay wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    at our last Sahara IRC meeting we started discussing whether or not to add
> a global requirement for cm_api.py https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130153/
>
>    One issue (but not the only issue) is that cm_api is not packaged for Fedora,
> Centos, or Ubuntu currently. The global requirements README points out that adding
> requirements for a new dependency more or less forces the distros to package the
> dependency for the next OS release.
>
>    Given that cm_api is needed for a plugin, but not for core Sahara functionality,
> should we request that the global requirement be added, or should we seek to add
> a global requirement only if/when cm_api is packaged?
>
>    Alternatively, can we support the plugin with additional documentation (ie, how
> to install cm_api on the Sahara node)?
>
>    Those present at the meeting agreed that it was probably better to defer a global
> requirement until/unless cm_api is packaged to avoid a burden on the distros.
>
>    Thoughts?
>
> Best,
>
> Trevor
>
> Minutes: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/sahara/2014/sahara.2014-11-20-18.01.html
> Logs: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/sahara/2014/sahara.2014-11-20-18.01.log.html
> https://github.com/openstack/requirements

we should keep the global requirements request, use it to track
satisfying all the "global requirements" requirements, even if that
involves including cm_api in relevant distros. additionally, in
parallel, provide documentation the addresses how to install & use the
CDH plugin.

i don't think we should officially enable/support the plugin in sahara
until it can be deployed w/o external/3rd-party steps.

best,

matt