[openstack-dev] [nova] [ironic] how to remove check-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh on Nova check

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Nov 25 13:02:56 UTC 2014

When at Summit I discovered that check-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh is
now voting on Nova check queue. The reasons given is that the Nova team
ignored the interface contract that was being provided to Ironic, broke
them, so the Ironic team pushed for co-gating (which basically means the
interface contract is now enforced by a 3rd party outside of Nova / Ironic).

However, this was all in vague term, and I think is exactly the kind of
thing we don't want to do. Which is use the gate as a proxy fight over
teams breaking contracts with other teams.

So I'd like to dive into what changes happened and what actually broke,
so that we can get back to doing this smarter.

Because if we are going to continue to grow as a community, we have to
co-gate less. It has become a crutch to not think about interfaces and
implications of changes, and is something we need to be doing a lot less of.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net