[openstack-dev] [Nova] Handling soft delete for instance rows in a new cells database

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 03:15:40 UTC 2014

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 7:32 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
>
> Interesting. I hadn't seen consistency between the two databases as
> trumping doing this less horribly, but it sounds like its more of a
> thing that I thought.

it really depends on what you need to do.  if you need to get a result set of all entities, deleted or not, consider the difference between a SELECT for all rows from a single table, easy, vs. doing a UNION from primary table to history table, matching up all the columns that hopefully do in fact match up (awkward), and then dealing with joining out to related tables if you need that as well (very awkward from a UNION).

if you have any plans to consume these rows in the app i’d advise just doing it like all the other tables.  if we want to change that approach, we’d do it en-masse at some point and you’d get it for free.