[openstack-dev] [Fuel] fuel master monitoring

Rob Basham robbyb at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 24 15:32:41 UTC 2014

Rob Basham

Cloud Systems Software Architecture
971-344-1999

Tomasz Napierala <tnapierala at mirantis.com> wrote on 11/24/2014 06:42:39
AM:

> From: Tomasz Napierala <tnapierala at mirantis.com>
> Date: 11/24/2014 06:46 AM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Fuel] fuel master monitoring
>

> > On 24 Nov 2014, at 11:09, Sergii Golovatiuk
> <sgolovatiuk at mirantis.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > monasca looks overcomplicated for the purposes we need. Also it
> requires Kafka which is Java based transport protocol.
What scale are you proposing to support?

> > I am proposing Sensu. It's architecture is tiny and elegant. Also
> it uses rabbitmq as transport so we won't need to introduce new
protocol.
We use Sensu on our smaller clouds and really like it there, but it
doesn't scale sufficiently for our bigger clouds.

> Do we really need such complicated stuff? Sensu is huge project, and
> it's footprint is quite large. Monit can alert using scripts, can we
> use it instead of API?
I assume you weren't talking about Sensu here and rather about Monasca.  I
like Monasca for monitoring at large scale.  Kafka and Apache Storm are
proven technologies at scale.  Do you really think you can just pick one
monitoring protocol that fits the needs of everybody?  Frankly, I'm
skeptical of that.