[openstack-dev] [oslo] Add a new aiogreen executor for Oslo Messaging

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Nov 24 00:30:50 UTC 2014

> On Nov 23, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Mike Bayer <mbayer at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Given that, I’ve yet to understand why a system that implicitly defers CPU use when a routine encounters IO, deferring to other routines, is relegated to the realm of “magic”.   Is Python reference counting and garbage collection “magic”?    How can I be sure that my program is only declaring memory, only as much as I expect, and then freeing it only when I absolutely say so, the way async advocates seem to be about IO?   Why would a high level scripting language enforce this level of low-level bookkeeping of IO calls as explicit, when it is 100% predictable and automatable ?

The difference is that in the many years of Python programming I’ve had to think about garbage collection all of once. I’ve yet to write a non trivial implicit IO application where the implicit context switch didn’t break something and I had to think about adding explicit locks around things.

Really that’s what it comes down to. Either you need to enable explicit context switches (via callbacks or yielding, or whatever) or you need to add explicit locks. Neither solution allows you to pretend that context switching isn’t going to happen nor prevents you from having to deal with it. The reason I prefer explicit async is because the failure mode is better (if I forget to yield I don’t get the actual value so my thing blows up in development) and it ironically works more like blocking programming because I won’t get an implicit context switch in the middle of a function. Compare that to the implicit async where the failure mode is that at runtime something weird happens.

---
Donald Stufft