[openstack-dev] [oslo] Add a new aiogreen executor for Oslo Messaging

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Nov 24 00:18:13 UTC 2014

On 24 November 2014 at 12:30, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> I'm not going to comment on the pros and cons - I think we all know I'm
> a fan of threads. But I have been around a while, so - for those who
> haven't been:

FWIW we have *threads* today as a programming model. The
implementation is green, but the concepts we work with in the code are
threads, threadpools and so forth.

eventlet is an optimisation around some [minor] inefficiencies in
Python, but it doesn't change the programming model - see dstuffts
excellent link for details on that.

I too will hold off from commentting on the pros and cons today; this
isn't about good or bad, its about making sure this revisiting of a
huge discussion and effort gets the right visibility.

> The main 'winning' answer came down to twisted being very opaque for new
> devs - while it's very powerful for experienced devs, we decided to opt
> for eventlet which does not scare new devs with a completely different
> programming model. (reactors and deferreds and whatnot)
>
> Now, I wouldn't say we _just_ ported from Twisted, I think we finished
> that work about 4 years ago. :)

Nova managed it in Jan 2011, so 3.5 mumblemumble. Near enough to 'just' :)

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist