[openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas] Shared Objects in LBaaS - Use Cases that led us to adopt this.

Samuel Bercovici SamuelB at Radware.com
Sun Nov 23 07:06:54 UTC 2014

Hi Stephen,

1.       The issue is that if we do 1:1 and allow status/state to proliferate throughout all objects we will then get an issue to fix it later, hence even if we do not do sharing, I would still like to have all objects besides LB be treated as logical.

2.       The 3rd use case bellow will not be reasonable without pool sharing between different policies. Specifying different pools which are the same for each policy make it non-started to me.

-Sam.

From: Stephen Balukoff [mailto:sbalukoff at bluebox.net]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:26 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron][lbaas] Shared Objects in LBaaS - Use Cases that led us to adopt this.

I think the idea was to implement 1:1 initially to reduce the amount of code and operational complexity we'd have to deal with in initial revisions of LBaaS v2. Many to many can be simulated in this scenario, though it does shift the burden of maintenance to the end user. It does greatly simplify the initial code for v2, in any case, though.

Did we ever agree to allowing listeners to be shared among load balancers?  I think that still might be a N:1 relationship even in our latest models.

There's also the difficulty introduced by supporting different flavors:  Since flavors are essentially an association between a load balancer object and a driver (with parameters), once flavors are introduced, any sub-objects of a given load balancer objects must necessarily be purely logical until they are associated with a load balancer.  I know there was talk of forcing these objects to be sub-objects of a load balancer which can't be accessed independently of the load balancer (which would have much the same effect as what you discuss: State / status only make sense once logical objects have an instantiation somewhere.) However, the currently proposed API treats most objects as root objects, which breaks this paradigm.

How we handle status and updates once there's an instantiation of these logical objects is where we start getting into real complexity.

It seems to me there's a lot of complexity introduced when we allow a lot of many to many relationships without a whole lot of benefit in real-world deployment scenarios. In most cases, objects are not going to be shared, and in those cases with sufficiently complicated deployments in which shared objects could be used, the user is likely to be sophisticated enough and skilled enough to manage updating what are essentially "copies" of objects, and would likely have an opinion about how individual failures should be handled which wouldn't necessarily coincide with what we developers of the system would assume. That is to say, allowing too many many to many relationships feels like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, and introduces a lot of unnecessary complexity.

In any case, though, I feel like we should walk before we run: Implementing 1:1 initially is a good idea to get us rolling. Whether we then implement 1:N or M:N after that is another question entirely. But in any case, it seems like a bad idea to try to start with M:N.

Stephen