[openstack-dev] No PROTOCOL_SSLv3 in Python 2.7 in Sid since 3 days

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Nov 22 21:00:31 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-22 13:37:55 -0500 (-0500), Donald Stufft wrote:
> Yes this. SSLv3 isn’t a “Well as long as you have newer things
> enabled it’s fine” it’s a “If you have this enabled at all it’s a
> problem”. As far as I am aware without TLS_FALLBACK_SCSV a MITM
> who is willing to do active attacks can force the connection over
> to the lowest protocol that a client and server support. There is
> no way for the server to verify that the message sent from the
> client that indicates their highest was not modified in transit.

IETF RFC 2246 disagrees with you on this. Please cite sources
(besides interactions with Web browsers that sidestep TLS version
negotiation a la POODLE). You're suggesting a vulnerability far
worse than e.g. CVE-2014-3511 in OpenSSL, which would definitely be
something I haven't seen disclosed to date. It's very easy to fall
into the protocol shaming trap, and I don't think it's at all
helpful.
--
Jeremy Stanley