[openstack-dev] [Fuel] We lost some commits during upstream puppet manifests merge

Aleksandr Didenko adidenko at mirantis.com
Fri Nov 21 16:15:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

following our docs/workflow plus writing rspec tests for every new option
we add/modify in our manifests could help with regressions. For example:

   - we add new keystone config option in openstack::keystone class -
   keystone_config {'cache/backend': value => 'keystone.cache.memcache_pool';}
   - we create new test for openstack::keystone class, something like this:
      - should
      contain_keystone_config("cache/backend").with_value('keystone.cache.memcache_pool')

So with such test, if for some reason we lose
keystone_config("cache/backend") option, 'rake spec' would alert us about
it right away and we'll get "-1" from CI. Of course we should also
implement 'rake spec' CI gate for this.

But from the other hand, if someone changes option in manifests and updates
rspec tests accordingly, then such commit will pass 'rake spec' test and we
can still lose some specific option.

> We should speed up development of some modular testing framework that
will check that corresponding change affects only particular pieces.

Such test would not catch this particular regressions with "keystone_config
{'cache/backend': value => 'keystone.cache.memcache_pool';}", because even
with regression (i.e. dogpile backend) keystone was working OK. It has
passed several BVTs and custom system tests, because 'dogpile' cache
backend was working just fine while all memcached servers are up and
running. So it looks like we need some kind of tests that will ensure that
particular config options (or particular puppet resources) have some
particular values (like "backend = keystone.cache.memcache_pool" in [cache]
block of keystone.conf).

So I would go with rspec testing for specific resources but I would write
them in 'openstack' module. Those tests should check that needed
(nova/cinder/keystone/glance)_config resources have needed values in the
puppet catalog. Since we're not going to sync 'openstack' module with the
upstream, such tests will remain intact until we change them, and they
won't be affected by other modules sync/merge (keystone, cinder, nova, etc).

--
Regards,
Aleksandr Didenko