[openstack-dev] No PROTOCOL_SSLv3 in Python 2.7 in Sid since 3 days

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Nov 21 14:38:00 UTC 2014

On Nov 21, 2014, at 4:56 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Trying to rebuild Neutron Juno in Sid, I get so many of these failures:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File
> "/home/zigo/sources/openstack/juno/neutron/build-area/neutron-2014.2/neutron/tests/unit/agent/linux/test_ovs_lib.py",
> line 137, in setUp
>    super(OVS_Lib_Test, self).setUp()
>  File
> "/home/zigo/sources/openstack/juno/neutron/build-area/neutron-2014.2/neutron/tests/base.py",
> line 128, in setUp
>    self.setup_rpc_mocks()
>  File
> "/home/zigo/sources/openstack/juno/neutron/build-area/neutron-2014.2/neutron/tests/base.py",
> line 150, in setup_rpc_mocks
>    self.messaging_conf = messaging_conffixture.ConfFixture(CONF)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo/messaging/conffixture.py",
> line 48, in __init__
>    'oslo.messaging._drivers.impl_rabbit', 'rabbit_opts')
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo/messaging/conffixture.py",
> line 24, in _import_opts
>    __import__(module)
>  File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo/messaging/_drivers/impl_rabbit.py",
> line 420, in <module>
>    class Connection(object):
>  File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/oslo/messaging/_drivers/impl_rabbit.py",
> line 497, in Connection
>    "sslv3": ssl.PROTOCOL_SSLv3
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'PROTOCOL_SSLv3'
>
> Having a deeper look into the issue, I saw the following changelog in
> Python 2.7 (this was uploaded 3 days ago in Sid):
>
>  * Allow building and testing without SSLv3 support (Kurt Roeckx).
>    Closes: #768611.
>
> Having a closer look at oslo.messaging reveals this in
> oslo/messaging/_drivers/impl_rabbit.py:
>
>    _SSL_PROTOCOLS = {
>        "tlsv1": ssl.PROTOCOL_TLSv1,
>        "sslv23": ssl.PROTOCOL_SSLv23,
>        "sslv3": ssl.PROTOCOL_SSLv3
>    }
>
> Removing the last line (which makes the PROTOCOL_SSLv3 not used anymore)
> fixed the build of Neutron.
>
> Obviously, what happened in Debian is that Kurt Roeckx, the maintainer
> of openssl, removed support for SSLv3, because of potential security
> issues (downgrade attacks), which were revealed by the infamous POODLE bug.
>
> Obviously also, we shall remove PROTOCOL_SSLv3 from one of the possible
> options in oslo.messaging.
>
> I thought this deserved explanations so that the review here can be
> understood better:
> https://review.openstack.org/136278

The patch drops support entirely, but as Brant points out that isn’t backwards-compatible. I’d be interested to hear from the security team about whether the security issues trump the backwards compatibility issues here or if we should maintain optional support (that is, allow v3 if we detect that we can use it because the symbol is present).

Thomas, can you get one or two of the security team to comment on the patch?

Doug