[openstack-dev] [all] A true cross-project weekly meeting

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 17:19:47 UTC 2014

> Hi everyone,
>
> TL;DR:
> I propose we turn the "weekly project/release meeting" timeslot
> (Tuesdays at 21:00 UTC) into a "weekly cross-project meeting", to
> discuss cross-project topics with all the project leadership, rather
> than keep it release-specific.
>

> Long version:
>
> Since the dawn of time (August 28, 2010 !), there has always been a
> "project meeting" on Tuesdays at 21:00 UTC. It used to be a all-hands
> meeting, then it turned more into a release management meeting. With the
> addition of more integrated projects, all the meeting time was spent in
> release status updates and there was no time to discuss project-wide
> issues anymore.
>
> During the Juno cycle, we introduced 1:1 sync points[1] for project
> release liaisons (usually PTLs) to synchronize their status with the
> release management team /outside/ of the meeting time. That freed time
> to discuss integrated-release-wide problems and announcements during the
> meeting itself.
>
> Looking back to the Juno meetings[2], it's quite obvious that the
> problems we discussed were not all release-management-related, though,
> and that we had free time left. So I think it would be a good idea in
> Kilo to recognize that and clearly declare that meeting the "weekly
> cross-project meeting". There we would discuss release-related issues if
> needed, but also all the others cross-project hot topics of the day on
> which a direct discussion can help making progress.
>
> The agenda would be open (updated directly on the wiki and edited/closed
> by the chair a few hours before the meeting to make sure everyone knows
> what will be discussed). The chair (responsible for vetting/postponing
> agenda points and keeping the discussion on schedule) could rotate.
>
> During the Juno cycle we also introduced the concept of Cross-Project
> Liaisons[3], as a way to scale the PTL duties to a larger group of
> people and let new leaders emerge from our community. Those CPLs would
> be encouraged to participate in the weekly cross-project meeting
> (especially when a topic in their domain expertise is discussed), and
> the meeting would be open to all anyway (as is the current meeting).
>
> This is mostly a cosmetic change: update the messaging around that
> meeting to make it more obvious that it's not purely about the
> integrated release and that it is appropriate to put other types of
> cross-project issues on the agenda. Let me know on this thread if that
> sounds like a good idea, and we'll make the final call at next week
> meeting :)

+1 to involving the liaisons more directly

-1 to the meeting size growing too large for productive real-time
   communication on IRC

IME, there's a practical limit on the number of *active* participants
in an IRC meeting. Not sure what that magic threshold is, but I suspect
not much higher than 25.

So given that we're in an era of fretting about the scalability
challenges facing cross-project concerns, I'd hate to paint ourselves
into a corner with another cross-project scalability challenge.

How about the agenda each week includes a specific invitation to a
subset of the liaisons, based on relevance?

(e.g. the week there's a CI brownout, request all the QA liaisons attend;
 whereas the week that the docs team launch a new contribution workflow,
 request that all the docs liaisons are present).

Possibly with a standing invite to the release-mgmt liaison (or PTL)?

Of course, as you say, the meeting is otherwise open-as-open-can-be.

Cheers,
Eoghan