[openstack-dev] [Ironic] maintaining backwards compatibility within a cycle

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:19:03 UTC 2014

Let's get concrete for a moment, because it makes a difference which API
we're talking about.

We have to guarantee a fairly high degree of backwards compatibility within
the REST API. Adding new capabilities, and exposing them in a discoverable
way, is fine; a backwards-incompatible breaking change to the REST API is
definitely not OK without a version bump. We should (and do) make a strong
effort not to land any REST API change without appreciable thought and
testing of its impact. Changes here have an immediate effect on anyone
following trunk.

The RPC API is another area of compatibility, and perhaps the one most
clearly versioned today. We must continue supporting running disparate
versions of the RPC client and server (that is, rpcapi.py and manager.py)
so that operators can upgrade the API and Conductor services
asymmetrically. Changes to the RPC API are done in such a way that each
service can be upgraded independently of other services.

The driver API is the only purely-python API we support -- and we know that
there are downstream consumers of that API. OnMetal is one such; many other
spoke up at the recent summit. While the impact of a breaking change here
is less than in the REST API, it is not to be overlooked. There is a cost
associated with maintaining an out-of-tree driver and we should make a
best-effort to minimize that cost for folks who (for what ever reason) are
in that boat.

-Devananda