[openstack-dev] [all] A true cross-project weekly meeting

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 20 13:55:13 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

TL;DR:
I propose we turn the "weekly project/release meeting" timeslot
(Tuesdays at 21:00 UTC) into a "weekly cross-project meeting", to
discuss cross-project topics with all the project leadership, rather
than keep it release-specific.

Long version:

Since the dawn of time (August 28, 2010 !), there has always been a
"project meeting" on Tuesdays at 21:00 UTC. It used to be a all-hands
meeting, then it turned more into a release management meeting. With the
addition of more integrated projects, all the meeting time was spent in
release status updates and there was no time to discuss project-wide
issues anymore.

During the Juno cycle, we introduced 1:1 sync points[1] for project
release liaisons (usually PTLs) to synchronize their status with the
release management team /outside/ of the meeting time. That freed time
to discuss integrated-release-wide problems and announcements during the
meeting itself.

Looking back to the Juno meetings[2], it's quite obvious that the
problems we discussed were not all release-management-related, though,
and that we had free time left. So I think it would be a good idea in
Kilo to recognize that and clearly declare that meeting the "weekly
cross-project meeting". There we would discuss release-related issues if
needed, but also all the others cross-project hot topics of the day on
which a direct discussion can help making progress.

The agenda would be open (updated directly on the wiki and edited/closed
by the chair a few hours before the meeting to make sure everyone knows
what will be discussed). The chair (responsible for vetting/postponing
agenda points and keeping the discussion on schedule) could rotate.

During the Juno cycle we also introduced the concept of Cross-Project
Liaisons[3], as a way to scale the PTL duties to a larger group of
people and let new leaders emerge from our community. Those CPLs would
be encouraged to participate in the weekly cross-project meeting
(especially when a topic in their domain expertise is discussed), and
the meeting would be open to all anyway (as is the current meeting).

This is mostly a cosmetic change: update the messaging around that
meeting to make it more obvious that it's not purely about the
integrated release and that it is appropriate to put other types of
cross-project issues on the agenda. Let me know on this thread if that
sounds like a good idea, and we'll make the final call at next week
meeting :)

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/ProjectMeeting
[2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/project/2014/
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons