[openstack-dev] Zero MQ remove central broker. Architecture change.

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 18 14:03:26 UTC 2014

Hi Ilya

On 18/11/14 02:45, Ilya Pekelny wrote:
> Thank you, Eric, for your descriptions!
>
> I'm very new to rpc and oslo.messaging. So I can be wrong in the
> idea of how it all designed and I can be wrong in a particular
> formulations. But I'm highly motivated in improvement of the
> rpc/oslo.messaging knowledge. I'm going to clarify all your
> descriptions and come back with updated propositions.
>
> Thank you, Russell, for your proposition!
>
> I'll pay attention to AMQP 1.0 as soon as possible. I'm not sure I
> can take it all to work but for sure I'll have an understanding
> about AMQP 1.0 in a nearest future.

As Eric detailed, the zmq driver does not implement a centralized
broker design.  I put together this diagram:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1A3PyBbZArzxRa2s4gGMIu1VYhsmc1FXWYbniSkA5_TU/edit?usp=sharing

when my team reviewed the existing design with Pieter Hintjens (ZeroMQ
upstream) in September to articulate how the driver functions with the
zmq-reciever and openstack processes.  I have an action item to
document that within the oslo.messaging codebase so its a bit more
accessible and with the actual code.

I think that the design is sound but there are a number of
optimizations and features that we did discuss as improvements:

1) Outbound messaging connection re-use - right now every outbound
messaging creates and consumes a tcp connection - this approach scales
badly when neutron does large fanout casts.

2) PUSH/PULL tcp sockets - Pieter suggested we look at ROUTER/DEALER
as an option once 1) is resolved - this socket type pairing has some
interesting features which would help with resilience and availability
including heartbeating.

3) Security options including encryption; this would require some
distribution work in Ubuntu right now as zeromq is not built with this
feature enabled.

I think for this cycle we really do need to focus on consolidating and
testing the existing driver design and fixing up the biggest
deficiency (1) before we consider moving forward with lots of new
features.

- --
James Page
Ubuntu and Debian Developer