[openstack-dev] [all] fix latency on requirements breakage

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Tue Nov 18 00:41:02 UTC 2014

Robert Collins wrote:
> Most production systems I know don't run with open ended dependencies.
> One of our contributing issues IMO is that we have the requirements
> duplicated everywhere - and then ignore them for many of our test runs
> (we deliberately override the in-tree ones with global requirements).
> Particularly, since the only reason unified requirements matter is for
> distro packages, and they ignore our requirements files *anyway*, I'm
> not sure our current aggregate system is needed in that light.
>
> That said, making requirements be capped and auto adjust upwards would
> be extremely useful IMO, but its a chunk of work;
>   - we need the transitive dependencies listed, not just direct dependencies

Wouldn't a pip install of the requirements.txt from the requirements
repo itself get this? That would tell pip to download all the things and
there transitive dependencies (aka step #1).

>   - we need a thing to find possible upgrades and propose bumps

This is an analysis of the $ pip freeze after installing into that
virtualenv (aka step #2)?

>   - we would need to very very actively propogate those out from global
> requirements

Sounds like an enhanced updater.py that uses the output from step #2?

> For now I think making 'react to the situation faster and easier' is a
> good thing to push on.

One question I have is that not all things specify all there
dependencies, since some of them are pluggable (for example kombu can
use couchdb, or a transport exists that seems like it could, yet kombu
doesn't list that dependency in its requirements (it gets listed in
https://github.com/celery/kombu/blob/master/setup.py#L122 under
'extra_requires' though); I'm sure other pluggable libraries
(sqlalchemy, taskflow, tooz...) are similar in this regard so I wonder
how those kind of libraries would work with this kind of proposal.