[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging] ZeroMQ driver maintenance next steps

Denis Makogon dmakogon at mirantis.com
Mon Nov 17 18:39:23 UTC 2014

понедельник, 17 ноября 2014 г. пользователь James Page написал:

> On 17/11/14 09:01, Denis Makogon wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand you statement about them not being
> > "gate"-able - the functional/unit tests currently proposed for the
> > zmq driver run fine as part of the standard test suite execution -
> > maybe the confusion is over what 'functional' actually means, but
> > in my opinion until we have some level of testing of this driver,
> > we can't effectively make changes and fix bugs.
> >
> > I do agree that there's a confusion what "functional testing"
> > means. Another thing, what the best solution is? Unit tests are
> > welcome, but they are still remain to be units (they are using
> > mocks, etc.) I'd try to define what 'fuctional testing' means for
> > me. Functional testing in oslo.messaging means that we've been
> > using real service for messaging (in this case - deployed 0mq). So,
> > the simple definition, in term os OpenStack integration, we should
> > be able to run full Tempest test suit for OpenStack services that
> > are using oslo.messaging with enabled zmq driver. Am i right or
> > not?
>
> 0mq is just a set of messaging semantics on top of tcp/ipc sockets; so
> its possible to test the entire tcp/ipc messaging flow standalone i.e.
> without involving any openstack services.  That's what the current
> test proposal includes - unit tests which mock out most things, and
> base functional tests that validate the tcp/icp messaging flows via
> the zmq-receiver proxy.  These are things that *just work* under a tox
> environment and don't require any special setup.
>
> Hm, I see what you've been trying to say. But unfortunately it breaks
whole idea of TDD. Why can't we just spend some time on getting non-voting
gates? Ok, let me describe what would satisfy all of us: Lest write up docs
that are describes how to setup(manually) environment to test out income
patches.

So, in any way. This topic is not for disagreement. It's for building out
team relationship.
I'd like to discuss next steps on developing zmq driver.

Kind regards,
Denis M.