[openstack-dev] [Nova] v2 or v3 for new api

Pasquale Porreca pasquale.porreca at dektech.com.au
Mon Nov 17 16:01:57 UTC 2014

Thank you very much Christopher

On 11/17/14 12:15, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> Yes, sorry documentation has been on our todo list for too long. Could
> I get you to submit a bug report about the lack of developer
> documentation for api plugins? It might hurry us up :-)

I reported as a bug and subscribed you to it.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1393455

> In the meantime, off the top of my head..... you'll need to create or
> modify the following files in a typical plugin:
>
> setup.cfg - add an entry in at least the nova.api.v3.extensions section
>
> etc/nova/policy.json - an entry for the permissions for you plugin,
> perhaps one per api method for maximum flexibility. Also will need a
> discoverable entry (lots of examples in this file)
>
> nova/tests/unit/fake_policy.json (similar to policy.json)

I wish I had asked about this before, I found yet these files, but I
confess it took quite a bit of time to guess I had to modify them (I
actually didn't modify yet fake_policy, but my tests are still not
completed).
What about nova/nova.egg-info/entry_points.txt I mentioned earlier?

> nova/api/openstack/compute/plugins/v3/<your_plugin.py> - please make
> the alias name something os-scheduler-hints rather than OS-SCH-HNTS.
> No skimping on vowels. Probably the easiest way at this stage without
> more doco is look for for a plugin in that directory that does the
> sort of the thing you want to do.

Following the path of other plugins, I created a module
nova/api/openstack/compute/plugins/v3/node_uuid.py, while the class is
NodeUuid(extensions.V3APIExtensionBase) the alias is os-node-uuid and
the actual json parameter is node_uuid. I hope this is correct...

> nova/tests/unit/nova/api/openstack/compute/contrib/test_your_plugin.py
> - we have been combining the v2 and v2.1(v3) unittests to share as
> much as possible, so please do the same here for new tests as the v3
> directory will be eventually removed. There's quite a few examples now
> in that directory of sharing unittests between v2.1 and v2 but with a
> new extension the customisation between the two should be pretty
> minimal (just a bit of inheritance to call the right controller)

Very good to know. I put my test in
nova/tests/unit/api/openstack/plugins/v3 , but I was getting confused by
the fact only few tests were in this folder while the tests in
nova/tests/unit/api/openstack/compute/contrib/ covered both v2 and v2.1
cases.
So should I move my test in
nova/tests/unit/api/openstack/compute/contrib/ folder, right?

> nova/tests/unit/integrated/v3/test_your_plugin.py
> nova/tests/unit/integrated/test_api_samples.py
>
> Sorry the api samples tests are not unified yet. So you'll need to
> create two. All of the v2 api sample tests are in one directory,
> whilst the the v2.1 are separated into different files by plugin.
>
> There's some rather old documentation on how to generate the api
> samples themselves (hint: directories aren't made automatically) here:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-api-samples
>
> Personally I wouldn't bother with any xml support if you do decide to
> support v2 as its deprecated anyway.

After reading your answer I understood I have to work more on this part :)

> Hope this helps. Feel free to add me as a reviewer for the api parts
> of your changesets.

It helps a lot! I will add you for sure as soon as I will upload my
code. For now the specification has still to be approved, so I think I
have to wait before to upload it, is that correct?

This is the blueprint link anyway:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/use-uuid-v1

--
Pasquale Porreca