[openstack-dev] TC election by the numbers

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Sat Nov 15 13:01:17 UTC 2014

> It's certainly not a fun thing to do (trying to guide a
> community of disjoint folks) and it likely comes with little
> recognition when successful, but IMHO we surely need more of
> this active technical leadership vs. blessing of projects; of
> course the boundary between being a engaging leadership and one
> that is perceived as trying to dictate technical goals for
> projects must be approached carefully (and with thoughtfulness)
> to avoid creating more problems than solutions...

That's a good point Josh,

TBH I'm not entirely sure if the likely result of the proposed
"big tent / small core" duality would be more or less active
technical leadership, given the absence of carrots and sticks.

Certainly, I couldn't foresee anything like the Juno gap analysis
exercise happening under that structure, at least not for any of
the projects outside the ring-zero laager.

I suspect that example-based nudges[1] on common concerns would
be the practical alternative ("hey, this is what we've done to
address issue X, you might want to try that approach also ...")

Cheers,
Eoghan

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudge_theory