[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Nov 14 14:21:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-14 15:10:59 +0100 (+0100), Martin Geisler wrote:
[...]
> That's not what I said: the OpenStack developers will continue to
> tests the software. I personally don't think it's the job of the
> downstream packagers to do this QA work. (It's of course cool to
> run the tests on the system installed by your packages -- that
> test run would then install the needed tools using npm and bower
> and whatnot if that's how the upstream has setup the test
> framework.)
[...]

Just to quibble on this particular point... distro packagers are
also developers. They often (more often than we'd like, and we do
try to find ways to help avoid this where possible) need to carry
their own patches to tweak the software to fit their deployment and
operation model. Being able to rerun tests in-place with packaged
versions of everything including their patches helps them confirm
that what they distribute still works as intended. Further, the
distro users are well within their rights to modify and respin these
packages themselves, and will potentially want to be able to run
these tests for the same reasons.

We distribute our tests as part of our software because our tests
*are* part of our software.
--
Jeremy Stanley