[openstack-dev] [all] config options not correctly deprecated

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Nov 14 00:37:24 UTC 2014

On 11/13/2014 06:56 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2014-11-13 15:20:47 -0800:
>>> AFAIK, there has not been any change in olso.config behaviour
>>> in the Juno release, as compared to previous releases. The
>>> oslo.config behaviour is that the generated sample config file
>>> contain all the deprecation information.
>>>
>>> The idea that olso.config issue log warnings is a decent RFE
>>> to make the use of deprecated config settings more visible.
>>> This is an enhancement though, not a bug.

>>> Yes, this is our standard practice - at the start of each release
>>> cycle, we delete anything that was marked as deprected in the
>>> previous release cycle. ie we give downstream users/apps 1 release
>>> cycle of grace to move to the new option names.

>>> The sample  nova.conf generated by olso lists all the deprecations.
>>>
>>> For example, for cinder options it shows what the old config option
>>> name was.
>>>
>>>   [cinder]
>>>
>>>   #
>>>   # Options defined in nova.volume.cinder
>>>   #
>>>
>>>   # Info to match when looking for cinder in the service
>>>   # catalog. Format is: separated values of the form:
>>>   # <service_type>:<service_name>:<endpoint_type> (string value)
>>>   # Deprecated group/name - [DEFAULT]/cinder_catalog_info
>>>   #catalog_info=volume:cinder:publicURL
>>>
>>> Also note the deprecated name will not appear as an option in the
>>> sample config file at all, other than in this deprecation comment.

>>> AFAIK, there's nothing different about Juno vs previous release cycles,
>>> so I don't see any reason to do anything different this time around.
>>> No matter what we do there is always a possibility that downstream
>>> apps / users will not notice and/or ignore the deprecation. We should
>>> certainly look at how to make deprecation more obvious, but I don't
>>> think we should change our policy just because an app missed the fact
>>> that these were deprecated.
>> So the difference to me is that this cycle we are aware that we're
>> creating a crappy experience for deployers.  In the past we didn't have
>> anything in the CI environment simulating a real deployment so these
>> sorts of issues went unnoticed.  IMHO telling deployers that they have
>> to troll the sample configs and try to figure out which deprecated opts
>> they're still using is not an acceptable answer.
>>
> I don't know if this is really fair, as all of the deprecated options do
> appear here:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/juno/config-reference/content/nova-conf-changes-juno.html
>
> So the real bug is that in TripleO we're not paying attention to the
> appropriate stream of deprecations. Logs on running systems is a mighty
> big hammer when the documentation is being updated for us, and we're
> just not paying attention in the right place.
>
> BTW, where SHOULD continuous deployers pay attention for this stuff?
>
>> Now that we do know, I think we need to address the issue.  The first
>> step is to revert the deprecated removals - they're not hurting
> [...]
I also think that there was a fall through the cracks with deprecation
functionality moving into oslo. I know when I wrote a lot of that for
Nova we were really verbose about deprecations (some times too much so).
Testing that anything using deprecation functionality in oslo generates
log streams would be really good.

    -Sean

--
Sean Dague