[openstack-dev] [Heat] Using Job Queues for timeout ops

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Thu Nov 13 21:50:07 UTC 2014

On Nov 13, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> [...]
> is a lack of reply, there shouldn't be a problem. But, for a job queue,
> there is no reply, and so the worker would dispatch, and then
> acknowledge after the dispatched call had returned (including having
> completed the step where new messages are added to the queue for any
> newly-possible children).
>
> Just to be clear, I believe what Zaqar adds is the ability to peek at
> a specific message ID and not affect it in the queue, which is entirely
> different than ACK'ing the ones you've already received in your session.
>
>> Most stuff in OpenStack gets around this by doing synchronous calls
>> across oslo.messaging, where there is an end-to-end ack. We don't want
>> that here though. We'll probably have to make do with having ways to
>> recover after a failure (kick off another update with the same data is
>> always an option). The hard part is that if something dies we don't
>> really want to wait until the stack timeout to start recovering.
>>

> I fully agree. Josh's point about using a coordination service like
> Zookeeper to maintain liveness is an interesting one here. If we just
> make sure that all the workers that have claimed work off the queue are
> alive, that should be sufficient to prevent a hanging stack situation
> like you describe above.
>
>>> Zaqar should have nothing to do with this and is, IMO, a
>>> poor choice at this stage, though I like the idea of using it in the
>>> future so that we can make Heat more of an outside-the-cloud app.
>>
>> I'm inclined to agree that it would be hard to force operators to deploy
>> Zaqar in order to be able to deploy Heat, and that we should probably be
>> cautious for that reason.
>>
>> That said, from a purely technical point of view it's not a poor choice
>> at all - it has *exactly* the semantics we want (unlike AMQP), and at
>> least to the extent that the operator wants to offer Zaqar to users
>> anyway it completely eliminates a whole backend that they would
>> otherwise have to deploy. It's a tragedy that all of OpenStack has not
>> been designed to build upon itself in this way and it causes me physical
>> pain to know that we're about to perpetuate it.

>>> A slight side point here: Kombu supports Qpid and ZeroMQ. Oslo.messaging
>>
>> You're right about Kombu supporting Qpid, it appears they added it. I
>> don't see ZeroMQ on the list though:
>>
>> http://kombu.readthedocs.org/en/latest/userguide/connections.html#transport-comparison
>>

> They, confusingly, call it zmq, and it may not be in a recent release:
>
> https://github.com/celery/kombu/blob/master/kombu/transport/zmq.py
>
>>> is more about having a unified API than a set of magic backends. It
>>> actually boggles my mind why we didn't just use kombu (cue 20 reactions
>>> with people saying it wasn't EXACTLY right), but I think we're committed
>>
>> Well, we also have to take into account the fact that Qpid support was
>> added only during the last 9 months, whereas oslo.messaging was
>> implemented 3 years ago and time travel hasn't been invented yet (for

+1 to this, I've seen the openstack community shy away from helping/improving other open source projects, which saddens me.

Kombu I think is in this category, but the future is unwritten and there is still hope!

>>> to oslo.messaging now. Anyway, celery would need no such refactor, as
>>> kombu would be able to access the same bus as everything else just fine.
>>
>> Interesting, so that would make it easier to get Celery added to the
>> global requirements, although we'd likely still have headaches to deal
>> with around configuration.
>>

> Yeah, I'm not advocating for celery, just pointing out that it has
> become more like what we already deploy. :)

>>> I feel like it boils down to something running periodically checking for
>>> scheduled tasks that are due to run but have not run yet. I wonder if we
>>> can actually look at Ironic for how they do this, because Ironic polls
>>> power state of machines constantly, and uses a hash ring to make sure
>>> only one conductor is polling any one machine at a time. If we broke
>>> stacks up into a hash ring like that for the purpose of singleton tasks
>>> like timeout checking, that might work out nicely.
>>
>> +1 for something like this, and +2 if we can get it from a library we
>> don't have to write ourselves (whether it be TaskFlow or something spun
>> out of Mistral or Ironic into Oslo).
>>

> Right, those things are fairly generic and would definitely fit nicely
> in a library.
>
> So, the simplest possible solution, I think, is to lock resource id +
> graph version. Since we are scared of Zookeeper, we'll need a periodic
> job in the engines that looks for stale locks, or we have to wait for
> another stack operation to check for them.

Maybe it's time we face our fears, have people even tried zookeeper?

Honestly I start to wonder, because it has some really neat features if people just try it out...