[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 22:35:17 UTC 2014

On 11/12/2014 03:03 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 12/11/14 08:40, Richard Jones wrote:
>
>> I believe the nodeenv method of installing node solves this, as it's
>> entirely local to the development environment.
> See below, this touches package build as well.
>>
>>      I will have to go through all dependencies and do a review, if those are
>>      acceptable for inclusion e.g in Fedora. The same is true for Thomas
>>      Goirand for inclusion in Debian.
>>
>>      >
>>      > Petr Belanyi has added optional jshint install for js linting into
>>      > Horizon and it installs nodejs as it depends on it. Could this approach
>>      > work for our need of js tooling too? [1]
>>
>>      Sigh, this nonsense doesn't go away? This is the third time the same
>>      issue comes up.
>>
>>      jshint is NOT free software.
>>
>>      https://github.com/jshint/jshint/blob/master/src/jshint.js#L19
>>

>> They're trying to resolve that https://github.com/jshint/jshint/issues/1234
>>
>> But regardless, jshint doesn't have to be installed from a Linux
>> repository; it's usually installed using npm alongside the other node tools.
>>
> Thanks for the pointer, this is good news!
>
> Regarding package managers, my POV is completely different. From a
> distributor perspective, where customers expect everything provided from
> a single source, I'm not using npm, pip etc. I'm packaging that stuff
> properly before using it.
>
> There are companies out there, where security policy does not allow to
> install software from a third party repository. pypi etc. are considered
> as a third party here in this context.
>
> I would prefer to have the complete tool chain available as (RPM)
> packages. I am executing unit tests etc. during package build. Our
> builders don't have access to the internet, downloading any other stuff
> from the internet is no option.

And this is really not-negotiable, too.  Debian has the same
requirements, it is not Red Hat/Fedora speciufic.  It is no different
than the Python Code.  We dodn't pip install for RHOSP for the Python
packages, and we can't use any of the language specific package managers.

But, we are used to it, and dealing with package dependencies is what we
do.  Having these in Fedora, while painful, will be ultimately very
valuable.