[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron][NFV][Third-party] CI for NUMA, SR-IOV, and other features that can't be tested on current infra.

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 20:48:47 UTC 2014

On 11/12/2014 02:11 PM, Steve Gordon wrote:
> NUMA
> ====
>
> We still need to identify some hardware to run third party CI for the
> NUMA-related work, and no doubt other things that will come up. It's
> expected that this will be an interim solution until OPNFV resources
> can be used (note cdub jokingly replied 1-2 years when asked for a
> "rough" estimate - I mention this because based on a later discussion
> some people took this as a serious estimate).
>
> Ian did you have any luck kicking this off? Russell and I are also
> endeavouring to see what we can do on our side w.r.t. this short term
> approach - in particular if you find hardware we still need to find
> an owner to actually setup and manage it as discussed.
>
> In theory to get started we need a physical multi-socket box and a
> virtual machine somewhere on the same network to handle job control
> etc. I believe the tests themselves can be run in VMs (just not those
> exposed by existing public clouds) assuming a recent Libvirt and an
> appropriately crafted Libvirt XML that ensures the VM gets a
> multi-socket topology etc. (we can assist with this).

I just wanted to clarify the hardware requirement.  A minimal setup for
a first step can be just a single physical multi-socket machine.  We can
run a VM on that machine for control and create ephemeral VMs with numa
exposed to them for running the tests.

Note that in addition to setting up and maintaining the infrastructure,
we also need someone to write test cases.

--
Russell Bryant