[openstack-dev] [stable][neutron] Fwd: Re: [Openstack-stable-maint] Neutron backports for security group performance

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 12 17:21:55 UTC 2014

Hi Ihar

>>> https://review.openstack.org/130097 -
>>> https://review.openstack.org/130105 The first four patches are
>>> optimizing db side (controller), while the last one is to avoid
>>> fetching security group rules by OVS agent when firewall is
>>> disabled.

In terms of putting some figures around how these proposed stable
patches help improve a Neutron based Juno cloud, I can provide some
metrics based on recent testing that Canonical did in-conjuction with HP.

The cloud we deployed was all based on Intel Atom Quad Core processors,
with 16G of RAM and SSD disk; 540 servers in total including 8 nova
controllers and 4 neutron controllers.  OpenStack Juno release on
Ubuntu 14.04.

With around 12,000 running instances, which was as far as I could push
a vanilla ML2/ovs based Juno cloud, the load on the 4 neutron
controllers was around 40 with CPU maxing out all of the time - which
pretty much mean't it was impossible to create any new instances due
to vif plugging timeouts in nova waiting for neutron to complete
network setup.

I patched in:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130101/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130098/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130100/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130105/

and re-ran the same test; the messaging load on the RabbitMQ server at
12,000 instances was considerably less in terms of volume, and the
load on the 4 neutron controllers was around 10 (vs 40) with CPU at
around 55->65% utilization - so still pretty busy, but a better
situation than without the patches.

My testing was quite synthetic (boot small instances until things
start to break) but it does illustrate the difference these patches make.

HTH

James

- --
James Page