[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Maxime Vidori maxime.vidori at enovance.com
Wed Nov 12 09:27:06 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I will write here some things I have noticed in the mailing list and on which I can contribute.

Npm and Bower:
bower and npm are here for two separate things, the first one is here to handle the dependencies of the webapp (angular, es5shim, d3.js and so on), meanwhile npm is here to handle the development environment (karma, grunt, jasmine, etc...). There is a possibility to avoid the use of bower by using npm alone, but I never tested that so a POC can be required.

Grunt vs Gulp:
Both are equivalent but I have a preference for the second one. It is more powerful than grunt, more customizable, easier to understand for new comers. All the plugins for an angular development exists and are quite stable. Last but not least the angular team is now pushing to replace its infra from grunt to gulp. But like I said both are equivalent and can be switched easily, so if you are more comfortable with grunt it is not a big deal.

Tastipy vs Djangular:
Like it has already been said we will use a restful API to handle the client server exchanges, so Tastipy seems to be preferable over Djangular.

Jasmine vs Mocha + Chai:
I am not really aware of Mocha + Chai features, but I have already used Jasmine for all my angular testing and it feeds all my needs, please use the version 2.0 of it for its powerful features on asynchronous testing and the clean handle of variables in the testings. Last it is only one library which already have plugins for the karma test runner.

I do not know if I addressed all the questions but here is a starting.

Cheers

Max