[openstack-dev] [oslo] pbr refactor

Kenny Jones kenny.jones at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 22:54:00 UTC 2014

I have submitted the first patch which focuses on the initial refactor of
pbr.packaging module.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/133607/

With that change I have created the following modules:

pbr
    common
    git
    requirements
    cmds (package)
        build_doc
        egg_info
        install
        install_scripts
        sdist
        test

The commands module are meant to mimic what is done by setup_tools and
distribute.
All the git commands are moved into git module, requirements processing is
moved into the requirements module, and the handful of truly common
functions are placed within common.

All references to packaging module within pbr (except version) have been
replaced by the new module. All tests have been updated to test the new
modules.

I have a second set of changes prepared and tested, and will submit those
after the above patch is merged that will focus on refactor of the version
module. The details can be found below, but based on Doug's feedback I'm
holding that patch to avoid conflict with Robert's SemanticVersion work
unless Robert thinks it could accelerate his work by having the code base
refactored.

Any and all feedback welcome, and input on timing of the second patch.

Thanks
Kenny