[openstack-dev] [qa] [neutron] local.conf for devstack using neutron on home network

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Sat Nov 8 16:22:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 07:24:02PM +0000, Chris Dent wrote:

> I seem to be struggling to cook a neutron configuration for my little
> home network that doesn't end in a variety of failures (devstack errors
> out, floating ips are on an unexpected (and unrouted) network, etc).
> I recognize that neutron is going to be complex out of necessity, so
> I'm not complaining, I just don't know what to do.
>
> I've fought with this in a variety of ways, getting the sense that I'm
> just doing it completely wrong, so I thought perhaps I should just ask
> if someone can produce a config for my network (described below).
>
> If you do help I'll be eternally grateful and owe you virtual beer and
> you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you've helped to educate someone
> out of the pit of ignorance.
>
> I have a wifi network 192.168.1.0/24
>
> I have a mac mini on that network.
>
> I use "internet sharing" to have an ethernet network (192.168.2.0/24)
> behind the mac. Out the etherport is a switch with two additional hosts
> (2.2 and 2.3), on each of which I'd like to run devstack on bare-metal
> with floating ips on the 192.168.2 network.
>
> Internet sharing is satisfactory for me. I don't need to reach the
> devstack hosts or their guests from beyond the mac, but I would like to
> reach them from the mac.
>
> Each devstack host has one physical interface, eth0, with a static
> IP. I'd like compute instances to get floating ips from a portion of
> that network.
>
> Using nova-networking I can make this work without issue:
>
> ```
> [[local|localrc]]
> HOST_IP=192.168.2.3
> FLOATING_RANGE=192.168.2.128/26
> ```
>
> What transformation is needed to get similar functionality with
> neutron?

[I realize you intend to use physical machine for DevStack, still I
thought I'd post this here.]

FWIW, this[1] is the minimal localrc contents (be sure to edit
ENABLED_SERVICES config directive to fit your needs) I use in my
DevStack Neutron setup in a virtual machine. This setup uses nested KVM
(LIBVIRT_TYPE=kvm in localrc does it) -- for it work, the host needs to
have nested KVM enabled:

    $ modinfo kvm_intel | grep -i nested
    parm:           nested:boolkvm                   435079  1 kvm_intel

More details on that here[2], in case anyone else finds it useful.

Once the stack.sh is complete, I do some tasks Neutron expects:

  - Create a new private network
  - Create a new private subnet (on the above private network)
  - Create a router
  - Associate the router to an existing external network by setting it
    as its gateway
  - Associate the private network interface to the router
  - Add Neutron security group rules for ICMP and SSH

[1] https://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/openstack/minimal_devstack_localrc.txt
[2] http://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/procedure-to-enable-nested-virt-on-intel-machines.txt

--
/kashyap