[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Test runner for python tests and parallel execution

Dmitriy Shulyak dshulyak at mirantis.com
Fri Nov 7 14:35:48 UTC 2014

Hi guys,
Long time ago i've made patch [1] which added tests distribution between
processes and databases.  It was simple py.test configuration which allows
us to reduce time of test execution almost linearly, on my local machine
one test run (distributed over 4 cores) takes 250 seconds.

At that time idea of using py.test was discarded, because:
1. it is neither nosetests
2. nor openstack community way (testrepository)

There is plugin for nosetests which adds multiprocessing support (maybe it
is even included in default distribution) but i wasnt able to find a normal
way of distribution over databases, just because runner doesnot include
necessery config options like RUNNER_ID. I cant stop you
from trying - so please share your results, if you will find a nice and
easy way to make it work.

As for testrepository - if you have positive experience using this tool,
share them, from my point of view it has very bad UX.

Please consider trying py.test [2], i bet you will notice difference in
reporting, and maybe will use it yourself for day-to-day test executions.
Additionally there is very good
system for parametrizing tests and writing extensions.

The goal of this letter is to solve problem of CI queues for fuel-web
project, so please
share your opinions, It will be nice to solve this at the start of next
week.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/82284/3/nailgun/conftest.py
[2] http://pytest.readthedocs.org/en/2.1.0/