[openstack-dev] [nova] pci pass through turing complete config options?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Nov 2 21:05:51 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 08:27:24PM +0000, Robert Li (baoli) wrote:
> Without direct oslo support, to implement it requires a small method that
> uses oslo cfg¹s MultiConfigParser().
>
> Now a few questions if we want to do it in Kilo:
>   ‹ Do we still need to be back-ward compatible in configuring the
> whitelist? If we do, then we still need to be able to handle the json
> docstring.

Yes, backwards compatibility is mandatory. If we want to get rid of the
old format you need to have 1 release cycle where it is issuing a
deprecation warning. So the Lxxxx release would be first place it cna
be deleted entirely

>   ‹ To support the new format in devstack, we can use meta-section in
> local.conf. how would we support the old format which is still json
> docstring?  Is something like this
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123599/ acceptable?
>   ‹ Do we allow old/new formats coexist in the config file? Probably not.

Just use a different name for the new config option to avoid confusion
between old & new syntax.

Regards,
Daniel