[openstack-dev] [nova] bug status and our 1st Bug Day for Juno

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat May 31 13:47:08 UTC 2014

On 5/28/2014 11:29 PM, Tracy Jones wrote:
> Hi Folks – I spoke with Michael at the summit about bug management for
> Juno.   Other than tagging the untagged bugs each week, I will also be
> driving a top ten list of bugs at the nova meeting.  The meeting is
> every Wednesday for 1/2 hour at 1630 UTC.  Attendance has dropped off
> since the end of icehouse – in fact no one attended at all yesterday.
>   Im guessing people are focused on BP right now – but losing focus on
> bugs is a bad idea.
>
> Nova currently has about 1200  bugs open (new, triaged, confirmed, in
> progress).
> Of those, 556 have no owner (46%) which (usually) mean they are not
> being worked on.
>
>   I will be gathering better stats over the next week or so, but my
> sense is that we need to focus a bit more on bugs.  To that end, I would
> like to propose a Bug Day on next Wedesday 6/4.
>
> Bug day is a day that (regardless of time zone), people spend time on
> either fixing or reviewing bugs.
>
> During that day we work on bugs and review bugs
>
> We hang out on *#openstack-bugday*
>
> We admire our progress on http://status.openstack.org/bugday/
>
> In terms of today’s top ten bugs.  This week we have 1 regression from
> havana which is not assigned to anyone.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1299517
>

> Please let me know if you have questions of comments
>
> Tracy

I'll be interested to see how many we close as invalid or duplicate QA
bugs from intermittent Tempest failures.  I suspect we have a lot of
random TimeoutException bugs from Tempest which we're probably going to
continue to have for awhile.  I'm trying to drum up some ideas on how to
do something about those in a QA thread here [1].

Otherwise I think the unofficial process for intermittent Tempest
check/gate failure bugs has been to tag them with 'testing'.  If we get
a list of those and we can get a fingerprint in logstash [2], and they
haven't shown up in the last two weeks (and aren't duplicates), we can
probably just close those out since they might be either (a) one-time
check failures on a patch that introduced the failure or (b) short-lived
race bugs that are now fixed.  If we do have valid race bugs and have a
good fingerprint, I can help anyone that wants to push patches up to
elastic-recheck.

I also suspect we might see a few duplicate/invalid bugs for lack of
configuring nova and neutron for event callbacks in Icehouse, I've seen
a few of those.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-May/035253.html
[2]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/elastic-recheck/tree/README.rst