[openstack-dev] [Glance] [Heat] Glance Metadata Catalog for Capabilities and Tags

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri May 30 18:45:12 UTC 2014

On 29/05/14 18:42, Tripp, Travis S wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> At the summit in Atlanta we demonstrated the “Graffiti” project
> concepts.  We received very positive feedback from members of multiple
> dev projects as well as numerous operators.  We were specifically asked
> multiple times about getting the Graffiti metadata catalog concepts into
> Glance so that we can start to officially support the ideas we
> demonstrated in Horizon.
>
> After a number of additional meetings at the summit and working through
> ideas the past week, we’ve created the initial proposal for adding a
> Metadata Catalog to Glance for capabilities and tags.  This is distinct
> from the “Artifact Catalog”, but we do see that capability and tag
> catalog can be used with the artifact catalog.
>
> We’ve detailed our initial proposal in the following Google Doc.  Mark
> Washenberger agreed that this was a good place to capture the initial
> proposal and we can later move it over to the Glance spec repo which
> will be integrated with Launchpad blueprints soon.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cS2tJZrj748ZsttAabdHJDzkbU9nML5S4oFktFNNd68
>
> Please take a look and let’s discuss!
>
> Also, the following video is a brief recap of what was demo’ d at the
> summit.  It should help to set a lot of understanding behind the ideas
> in the proposal.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhrthnq1bnw
>
> Thank you!
>
> Travis Tripp (HP)
>
> Murali Sundar (Intel)
>
> *A Few Related Blueprints *
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/instance-launch-using-capability-filtering
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/tagging
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/faceted-search
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/host-aggregate-update-metadata
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-cinderclient/+spec/support-volume-image-metadata

+1, this is something that will be increasingly important to
orchestration. The folks working on the TOSCA (and others) -> HOT
translator project might be able to comment in more detail, but
basically as people start wanting to write templates that run on
multiple clouds (potentially even non-OpenStack clouds) some sort of
catalog for capabilities will become crucial.

cheers,
Zane.