[openstack-dev] Designate Incubation Request

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed May 28 23:21:11 UTC 2014

On 05/28/2014 07:11 PM, James E. Blair wrote:
> Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> writes:
>
>> I would agree this doesn't make sense in Neutron.
>>
>> I do wonder if it makes sense in the Network program. I'm getting
>> suspicious of the programs for projects model if every new project
>> incubating in seems to need a new program. Which isn't really a
>> reflection on designate, but possibly on our program structure.
>
> One of the reasons we created programs was so that we wouldn't have to
> feel compelled to constrain our growth because of how it relates to our
> bureaucracy (specifically "core").  So I don't think we should limit the
> number of programs for that reason.
>
> To the task at hand -- Designate has its own group of people working on
> it and moreover is in an entirely different problem space than Neutron.
> Its PTL needs to be familiar with people and technology that are vastly
> different.  I think DNSaaS makes sense as a new program, and I'm
> personally delighted to see the incubation request.

I'm definitely very happy to see the incubation request. And, honestly,
I'm fine with it as a new program. Cursory look shows that they are
already more ahead on diversity and activity than 2 of our incubated
projects.

I honestly just think we might want to also use it as a time to rethink
our program concept. Because all our programs that include projects that
are part of the integrated release are 1 big source tree, and maybe a
couple of little trees that orbit it (client and now specs repos). If we
always expect that to be the case, I'm not really sure why we built this
intermediate grouping.

Which is different from some of the programs that aren't part of the
integrated release, which produce a collection of tools that happen when
they happen.

Anyway, probably a second conversation for the community.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net