[openstack-dev] Specifying file encoding

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Wed May 28 10:28:28 UTC 2014

On 05/28/2014 08:16 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm trying to get my feet wet with OpenStack development, so I recently
> tried to submit some small patches. One small thing I noticed was that
> some files used
>
>   # -*- encoding: utf-8 -*-
>
> to specify the file encoding for both Python and Emacs. Unfortunately,
> Emacs expects you to set "coding", not "encoding". Python is fine with
> either. I submitted a set of patches for this:
>
> * https://review.openstack.org/95862
> * https://review.openstack.org/95864
> * https://review.openstack.org/95865
> * https://review.openstack.org/95869
> * https://review.openstack.org/95871
> * https://review.openstack.org/95880
> * https://review.openstack.org/95882
> * https://review.openstack.org/95886
>
> It was pointed out to me that such a change ought to be coordinated
> better via bug(s) or the mailinglist, so here I am :)

This is valid change.
I don't see why there is any question
as it only improves the situation for emacs
which will pop up an error when trying to edit these files.

You could create a bug I suppose
to reference all the changes though I don't
think that's mandatory since this isn't user facing.

cheers,
Pádraig.